How we did it
1. Conducted thorough market research + competitive research
The primary objective in conducting research was to see how competitors presented similar features in preview videos. We paid close attention to the order in which features were presented and consulted user reviews to see which features were favored by users and why.
2. Identified the most important features to highlight in the app preview videos
After presenting our research, collaborating closely with the client was key to delivering the best results. We know that average video watch time is between 4 and 6 seconds, so identifying the most important features at the beginning was critical.
Through our close agency/client collaboration, we agreed to highlight these features:
• The ability for several users/caregivers to use the app with information automatically synchronized on each account
• Graphs & statistics to view the trends, development progress, and to identify patterns and issues
• The ability to customize the application (home page & colors) to fit the needs of each user
3. Created a detailed creative brief
Just like with all creative development projects we tackle, developing a detailed creative brief is an important first step before moving into production. With the brief, we aligned with the client on the approved look and feel of the videos, the title treatments and any musical preferences.
4. Developed storyboards
Storyboards are key — they provide the guidance of what to expect to better understand the roadmap of the video. With the Baby Connect storyboards, we outlined what would take place in each video shot-by-shot/frame- by-frame to give the client greater insight of how the video would look and feel, and to help validate the concept.
Preview video storyboard:
5. Produced one preview video each for iOS and Google Play
After lining up all of the pre-approved elements that we needed to create the video — in-app footage, screen recordings and app screenshots of the selected features, background music, and all of the brand’s creative assets such as logos, colors — we were able to begin the video editing process. The final result from production was one iOS preview video and one GP preview video customized to meet the specs of each platform.